Meet our team of Architects in Boulder, Colorado
Dale SmithPresident, Designer
Elizabeth SmithOwner, Architect
Tessa Reist HathornArchitect
Some thoughts on who we are, what we believe, what is important to us, & what separates us from others;
WHO WE ARE
- Fänas Architecture is a small Boulder, Colorado-based architectural firm led by partners, Dale and Elizabeth Smith. Both Dale and Elizabeth received their education from the University of Colorado, Boulder and have over 50 years architectural experience between them. Fänas was established in Boulder in 2000 with a second office opening in Pagosa Springs in 2006.
- We are, by design, a small firm of talented, excited, professional designers. We procure a limited number of projects at any given time, so as to be responsive to our clients and their projects.
- If we were to be described in a single word, that would have to be ‘appropriate’; appropriate aesthetic, appropriate sustainability, appropriate balance of quality, quantity, & cost.
- Unlike most firms, ours is not named after its founders. That’s not what is important. Our name, Fänas, is a Gaelic term, with the duel meaning of “space” and “opportunity” – can “architecture” be defined in more simple terms?
- It’s become a cliché, but as our past clients will attest, we listen.
WHAT WE DO
- Our team of Boulder Architects specializes in the planning, design & detailing of custom homes, additions & remodels, and a variety of commercial projects. We provide architectural services including architectural design, interior design, master planning, site & landscaping design, and construction administration.
- We engage a limited number of projects at any given time. In working with Fänas Architecture, you will only ever deal with one of its owners, Dale or Elizabeth Smith. You will not be passed on to another project architect or job captain. You will only ever work with someone who has a vested interest in you and your projects success.
- One of the enduring hallmarks of our practice is our commitment to listen, to learn, to become intimate with our clients and their properties, to explore and search for original, creative thought. We take time to include all staff in charrettes for each project, with the understanding that the best solutions often result from collaboration. We explore many options, in search of the best right answers. We purchase sketch paper by the case, and we use it.
HOW WE DO IT
- Col • lab • o • rate: to work jointly with other or together especially in the intellectual endeavor. The key element in our approach is communication. Fänas Architecture believes that the best ideas evolve from an engaging and collaborative design process with clients, consultants, builders, and within our own firm. A collaborative process allows an open and impassioned exploration and enables a clear understanding of appropriate solutions.
- We utilize all tools & methodologies at our disposal; from the artistry of hand sketches & models, to the most advanced, integrated 3D software available. The actual design of all our projects begins ‘old school’, by hand drafting. There is a connection between head-hand-pen that will never exist with the computer. It allows the thoughts & design to literally flow, to organically develop, from one element or concept to the next. The warmth & comfort in hand drawings & renderings also tends to be more ‘user friendly’ in the initial stages of design. At the appropriate time, our designs are transferred to computerize three-dimensional models, views and animations. This satisfies another priority, which is to assure that we thoroughly communicate the design to our clients. No surprises.
In summary, the practice of architecture is highly subjective and varies widely. We believe sincerely and humbly that we are at the top of the game, that our creativity and service are best-in-class. This belief is held by others, too, including the vast majority of past clients, contractors, design review boards & others. Mostly, we simply love what we do.